Boot from FD and DR-DOS prompt comes up while installing FreeBSD?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jan 2 16:49:32 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Paul Shi wrote:

> I am working my way t setup a FTP server on FreeBSD however I got stuck at
> the very first stage - installation of FreeBSD 8.0.
>
> I downloaded FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-i386-dvd1.iso from FreeBSD.org and burned
> it with NERO to a DVD-RW disc. After that, I insert the DVD disc and boot
> from CDROM as I have chose the CDROM to be first one in boot order. However,
> system starts booting from FD, invokes some Caldera DR-DOS and goes to
> command prompt [DR-DOS] A:\>
>
> I am totally confused and cannot find any answer in FreeBSD handbook. I will
> greatly appreciate your help if anyone of you has experience with this weird
> problem. Thank you very much and Happy New Year!

Nero seems to have "helped" you by making a bootable CD with a copy of
the FreeBSD ISO file on it.  The A: disk is actually a simulated floppy
on the CD.

That's not going to work.  Make a new CD.  Back in Windows, you might be
able to right-click the original ISO file and get a "Burn a CD" option.
Otherwise, you'll have to run the program and tell it to make the ISO
into a CD, not make a CD with the ISO on it as a file.