Midnight Commander - Where is the subshell?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 2 03:01:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 20:50:50 +0100, herbert langhans <herbert.raimund at gmx.net> wrote:
> I think I will start at the beginning, config the thing and compile it again.
> Should make no difference from 7.2 to 8.0 (just guessing).

I thought so, too. I have 4.6.1_6 on OS 7-STABLE with the annoying
"read (subshell_pty...): No such file or directory (2)" problem.

And the strange thing: I've seen a similar message with 4.7.0 on
OS 8.0-RC1! Maybe I can "generate" the error again. I seem to
remember that it was a bit different, but included the first
words...

At least, they fixed some annoying behaviour of the subshell,
e. g.	1. Select some files, either by + or INS.
	2. Enter a command, existing one or not, press Enter.
	3. Result: Your selection is gone, and the cursor
	   is at the first entry of the current directory.

This happened only for the first command you entered after
starting MC; all subsequent commands are processed as intended,
and as it worked in the older versions without problems.

The 4.7 version doesn't show this habit anymore, thankfully.
A good improvement, it was annoying.

Only thing I found: There are no "graphics" anymore; they
are present e. g. in sysinstall (borders), but not in MC.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany