FreeBSD 8.0 and MySQL 5.1.x

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 10:04:12 UTC 2010

Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I was curious if it's the right time to move to MySQL 5.1.x instead MySQL 5.0.x. with FreeBSD 8.x
>
> Any bench marks with FreeBSD 8.x? Or shall we stick to MySQL 5.0.x for now?

We can't really answer that for you.  If performance is your overriding
consideration, then 5.1 /might/ be a good choice.  It depends very much
on the sort of workloads you have.  5.0 is faster for some things, 5.1 for
others.  I think it's generally the case though that 5.1 does give improved
performance on the latest multi-core 64 bit servers with high concurrency
applications, but the only way to know for sure is to run your own tests.

Don't put your trust entirely in benchmarks: they are frequently ill-conceived
and badly executed, and usually concentrate on highlighting a specific
performance feature under highly artificial conditions.  Real life usage will
give you different answers.

Although MySQL is pushing 5.1 as their current GA release, I don't think
there's going to be any dropping of support for 5.0 any time soon.  5.1 would
be my first choice for a new installation, but I see no pressing need to
upgrade any existing 5.0 systems.  On the other hand, 5.1 is stable and
reasonably well debugged nowadays, and it's got good backwards compatibility
with 5.0, so if you do decide to upgrade, it's probably not going to cause you
any great trauma.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3