Lockups with USB disks on FreeBSD

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 19:59:25 UTC 2010

I am currently using FreeBSD 8.0. I have been, for a long time, been
having problems with lockups of FreeBSD 8.0 when using USB hard disks.
Sometimes certain applications lock up for several minutes, when they
use the disk, file operations are very slow, and sometimes the entire
operating system can lock up for several minutes. This can be a pretty
painful thing and makes the system seem very unstable. I am using UFS
filesystems on the disks. It seems to happen on multiple disks that i use.

I was hopeful changes to the FreeBSD USB drivers might have improved
things but they are as bad as ever.

Help is appreciated.