RESOLVED: Printing via USB Port

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Feb 27 20:27:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:
> Okay guys this is finally working. I found the answer here:
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=64508
>
> This didn't come up in my other searches.
>
> This morning I put in "freebsd hl2040 usb" into my yahoo search and
> this came up.

Didn't you get my last message yesterday?  It had that very link.

> Seems this guy got it to work by using unlpt0 not ulpt0. I had tried
> this before and was using the ifhp filter but that didn't work.

The printer is not HP or even PCL, so ifhp is likely not the right
filter.

> So I did this with /etc/printcap:
>
> lp|HL2040|Brother HL-2040:\
>         :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\
>         :af=/home/bill/hl1250.ppd:\
>         :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd/hl2040.log:\
>         :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:

It was probably the unlpt0 device that cured it.  Could you verify
whether the plain lpd entry with the unlpt0 device works?

lp:\
      :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\
      :sh:\
      :mx#0:\