remote syslog(3)ging behaving strangely?

Frank Steinborn steinex at nognu.de
Thu Feb 25 18:13:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

i have several jails that push their syslog to the syslogd on the
host. This is on FreeBSD 7.2. The only line for syslog.conf in the
jails is:

*.*                                             @haydn.nognu.de

On the host I have a standard syslog.conf but all.log is enabled.

The problem now is that logs from the jails _only_ appear in all.log
and i wonder why. I expected them to be sorted like configured in
host's /etc/syslog.conf and I'm relatively sure it does work this way
on 8, though I can't verify that right now.

Any explanations for this beharviour?

Thanks,
Frank