Any generic way to fix problem that configure doesn't find libraries in /usr/local/lib?

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 24 20:20:40 UTC 2010

On Wed 24 Feb 2010 at 12:05:10 PST Yuri wrote:
>Every time I run configure script it fails to find libraries in
>/usr/local/lib because it has some hard-coded paths not including
>/usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib.
>Every time I need to edit configure to fix it up.
>
>Is there any generic tool or way that fixes this problem more easily?

With most configure scripts I've seen, "./configure --help" tells me
that the environment variable LDFLAGS is respected.

So why not set that before invoking configure?

If you look, you'll find that the Makefiles for many ports do exactly
this, by setting CONFIGURE_ENV+= LDFLAGS="-L${LOCALBASE}/lib ${LDFLAGS}"