Using "march=native" in "/etc/make.conf"

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:41:07 UTC 2010

I just acquired an older Gateway GT5220 with an AMD 62 Athlon-x2
dual processor. I want to set it up as a sort of test machine. There
does not seem to be a specific setting for 'cpu-type' or 'march' for
this machine. I have notices on some Linux forums that they recommend
using the 'native' keyword; i.e., "march=native" in the 'make.conf'
file to get the most optimization out of the CPU. Would that be correct
for FreeBSD also? Would it also be appropriate for other CPUs as well?

Thanks :-)

--
Carmel
carmel_ny at hotmail.com

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.

	Albert Einstein