Sysinstall Post-install System Management

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 19 21:08:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:26:29 -0600, Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
> On 02/19/10 13:50, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:42:09 -0600, Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
> >> It's really past the point where I can just wipe the system and
> >> reinstall, making sure to opt for linux emulation from the get go.
> >
> > It is not needed to reinstall the whole OS just because you
> > accidentally forgot to install an additional package. We're
> > not in MICROS~1 land here. :-)
>
> I know, but it seems almost easier to do it then instead of later.

No problem - I'm often installing needed stuff right away
when still in sysinstall from the CD.

> FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE
>
> [root at heaven]portsnap update
> Ports tree is already up to date.
>
> Should I just fetch and extract anyway?

If you're copy of the ports tree is from the CD, then it
matches the version 8.0 of the OS from the CD. If you
update your system AND the ports tree, it's easy to
install linux-base_fc10 along with "Flash" and anything
else you need from ports.

If you're installing from precompiled packages - which
are usually at a version near the current ports tree -
it's often useful to have an updated system, too. You
can compile it yourself or use freebsd-update for that.

> Just trying to be as helpful as possible. Figured someone would know
> where the "debug window" is.

This refers to the normal behaviour of sysinstall when
run from the installation CD. The debug screen is one
of the virtual terminals, usually on Alt+PF2, if I
remember correctly. On this terminal, diagnostic messages
are output.

> >> Any clues or alternate ways of getting this done?
> >
> > You could try to
> >
> > 	a) install linux_base-fc10 via pkg_add
>

> [root at heaven]pkg_add linux_base-fc10
> pkg_add: can't stat package file 'linux_base-fc10'

See "man pkg_add"; you have to use -r to get the file via
Internet. If you're just specifying the name, pkg_add
assumes it to be present in the current directory; see
the manual about PACKAGESITE, too. This enables you the
ability to get "archived" binary packages (for older
versions of the OS).

> > or
> >
> > 	b) install it through the port;
> > 	   in this case you should update system and
> > 	   ports tree before compiling.
>
> [root at heaven]cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-fc10
> /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-fc10: No such file or directory.
>
> Figured out from the below linked page it's linux_base-f10, no problems.
> I'm good on my way. Thanks!

Yes, it is f10. :-)

> Is that the most recent flash version available for linux via Adobe?

The port's name is linux-f10-flashplugin10, if I remember
correctly.

> From another email:

> >> IIRC you first need to load the linux and linprocfs kernel modules and
> >> mount linproc.
> >>
> >> BR, Erik
> >>

> Just did that, thanks for the heads up.

Yes, that's neccessary, too. Important advice.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany