8.0 and freebsd-doc native languages

n dhert ndhertbsd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:30:24 UTC 2010

I installed a new 8.0 from the DVD and the ports collection.
Did a portsnap update, pkg_version -vIL reported 21 ports to upgrade of
which 19
XX-freebsd-doc-20100213  (XX = two letters identifying a native language)
I throught this would just install preformatted files, so started the 21
ports
upgrade.  Now this is running already for over 4 hours... and installed at
least
a 100 other dependent packages.

Why does 8.0 insist on having all these native language docs (which most
users
do not need) ? In 7.2 install this did not happen.
Can I safely remove all the other XX-freebsd.doc (except en-freebsd-doc),
packages?