solved: Re: rpm trashed my system with linux so's

Steve Franks bahamasfranks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:17:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Steve Franks wrote:
>> Main thing is that portupgrade -f gamin is *not* putting fresh bsd
>> copies overtop the bad linux ones I stupidly installed, and anything
>> with gtk is now useless (shared object 'libselinux.so.1" not found,
>> required by "libgio-2.0.so.0"), which is pretty much everything.
>>
>> Short of reinstalling everything from CD, do I have options?
>
> Sure.  First, however, please note that it is (presumably past) time to obtain a working backup mechanism for any system that you care about.
>
> Consider the output of "find /usr/local/lib -mtime -2" (or some other # of days).  You can use pkg_which to identify the port which should have provided a native FreeBSD library; use pkg_delete -f _portname_ or similar measures to more forcefully remove these Linux .so's.
>
> Regards,
> --
> -Chuck

Ok, got lucky: linux sticks everything in /lib, which is in the
default path before /usr/local/lib, hence the madness, and hence why
portupgrade won't fix it (it rebuilds most bsd .so's in
/usr/local/lib).

Just rm every .so file that gets complained about missing dependancies
from /lib, and you're back in the land of the living!

That was "fun"....

Anyone know where the "right" place for rpm to put real unix libs for
use with compat?  compat/lib?

Anyway, thanks, all

Steve