yikes! MAC address changed ??

James Smallacombe up at 3.am
Thu Feb 11 11:00:28 UTC 2010

Sorry for replying to myself (AND top-posting!) twice in a row, but this
is become a huge concern.  My first thought is that my provider changed
routers or router Ethernet ports, hence the MAC address change.  They deny
this, plus I find the two MAC addresses:

00:17:e0:4f:b9:c0 to 00:13:e0:4f:b9:c0

too close to each other for comfort.  My obvious concern here is that the
recent php compromises somehow allowed an attacker to alter the ARP table
entry of the default gateway.  Specific questions are as follows:

1) If this were done via a perl or php script, presumably executing
    an 'arp -s' command, would it show up in the log like that?  I've
    never changed an ARP entry (except to delete it using 'arp -d'), so
    I've only seen log entries like that due to external changes, like
    somebody changing IPs on the LAN from one Ether to another.

2) Could an Ethernet card defect or re0 driver problem cause anything
    like this?  Other bug?

3) If this was an attacker using a local script, how the hell does he
    get a php or perl script owned by UID 80 (or worst case, a user),
    to do this?

Thanks again for any insight...appreciate a reply to both list and
directly.