How to create a FreeBSD 8.0 boot CD without boot.flp?

Pierre-Luc Drouin pldrouin at pldrouin.net
Wed Feb 10 22:08:11 UTC 2010

What I am trying to do is basically to install FreeBSD 8.0 on a CD. I
followed these instructions to install FreeBSD on a USB stick:

http://typo.submonkey.net/articles/2006/04/13/installing-freebsd-on-usb-stick-episode-2

minus the fdisk/bsdlabel/newfs part . I just set up rc.conf to configure
the ethernet interface with DHCP and load sshd

then I am now creating an iso image with the boot image. So at the root
of the CD I will have the boot directory containing the kernel subdirectory.

I figured out about the boot image error from mkisofs. I had to copy
cdboot into the actual boot directory for the image and the path
specified by the -b option is relative to the root directory of the CD...

So should this work according to you?

Thanks!