display and manipulate math symbols?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 9 19:27:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 20:40:07 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	Is there any app or web site where you can select from a bunch of
> 	math symbols and arrange them on-screen?  I'm not talking about a
> 	program to solve; just display.  And i think you can describe
> 	things in english like "sqrt(2)" in OOo, and have that sq root sign
> 	displayed.  Not that either; rather pre-drawn symbols that could be
> 	moused around,

As you intendedly state that you're not searching for a
solution in the field of typesetting - where LaTeX comes
to mind immediately - I could imagine that you can do it
the hard way.

First, see the symbols here:

http://web.ift.uib.no/Fysisk/Teori/KURS/TeX/symALL.html

Split the images into individual ones, and then use a
graphics suite, such as Gimp or OpenOffice Draw, to drag
them around the screen and combine a formula from them.

Surely, you would be massively faster doing it with LaTeX,
but there's no mouse involved. :-)

Another idea which I haven't tested or confirmed is to use
the xfig program. If it contains a library that contains
math symbols (that's the part that needs verification), you
can import it and then use its symbols to "draw" a forula
with them.

Again, LaTeX would be the faster solution. :-)

Ah, and a final idea, but that doesn't seem to be adopted
well: Use MathML and combine it with HTML and CSS.

And as you already have guessed: LaTeX is faster. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany