FreeBSD's UFS vs Ext4

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Feb 9 16:11:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:58:07 -0700, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 03:00:00PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK, the system compiler is going to be clang in the future and for
>> ports you'll install a compiler from ports.
>
> Can you provide a URL for some discussion of this?  I hadn't heard
> that FreeBSD was moving to Clang.

There are no concrete plans to ditch gcc from the base system.

The GPLv3 license of GCC and binutils does pose a few interesting
problems.  On the other hand, Clang is a nice project, whose license
*is* compatible with a BSD-style license.  Several FreeBSD developers
have tried building the base system with it and are active at the
development forums of Clang.

So it's probably a safe assumption to make that Clang is not ready
*yet*, but may be an interesting alternative to GCC in the near future.