Wireless Access Point

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 19:54:24 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
Subject: Re: Wireless Access Point
To: "Bill Tillman" <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 1:45 PM

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:
> Now my new FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE server seems to be almost ready to take over for the D-Link router and my old FreeBSD server. I have two NIC's in this server, an ethernet cable one (bge0) and the wireless NIC (ral0) or wlan0.
> I can ping outside addresses from this new server but of course it's using the 10.0.0.0/24 segment which I knew would work. But even though the wireless clients can connect to the wirless NIC and be assigned an IP address and can ping the IP address of the server, both of them,  I cannot access the Internet from any of the wireless machines. I could use some advice on what to do to correct this.

Sounds like NAT is working for the internal wired interface, but not the wireless interface.  Check your firewall rules.

Thanks for your reply. The new FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE server is currently not running a firewall. I have that taken care of with the other FreeBSD router 10.0.0.253.

In this other router I do have IPFW running and have assigned natd_interface="rl0". My new server is doing a make buildworld right now so I can't test this right away, but it sounds like I need to add natd_interface="wlan0" in the /etc/rc.conf file. Is there a way to add this to the setup without editing /etc/rc.conf and restarting the system? Otherwise I have to wait until the make buildworld is over. This is a very fast machine so it shouldn't be long.