backup terminal title

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Sat Feb 6 12:38:14 UTC 2010

I just started to wonder how portmaster changes the window title
of my terminal and why it doesn't change it back when it
terminates.

Some digging in the portmaster code showed up an escape sequence:
printf "\033]0;%s\007" "YOUR TEXT GOES HERE"

Unfortunately I am entirely clueless as to how one could backup
the old title string to restore it upon termination. It seems
to me this ought to be a precondition to using this kind of
feature.