this may be impossible: iis there a way to play streams on our firefox?

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Fri Feb 5 05:15:54 UTC 2010

Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Thursday 04 February 2010, Adam Vande More wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>>>        Is there a way of streaming stuff like old tv shows, the
>>>        bbc-player, and pbs steams on the freebsd version of
>>> firefox35?
>>>
>>>        thought i'd give it a last try since everything is upgraded
>>> on my desktop.
>> /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
>
> Is it just me or is the flash plugin still not fully functional? I'm
> running Firefox 3.5.7 with linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r42 on
> 8.0-RELEASE-p2, some flash videos work but many fail. For example BBC
> iplayer always comes up with a message "This content doesn't seem to be
> working. Try again later" superimposed over a still image of the start
> of the video. YouTube videos play but without any sound.

I've been using gnash with firefox, *everything* doesn't play, but the majority
does.  I really don't like being forced to use Linux things, and it seems that
gnash nicely gets that accomplished.  Note that the gnash install, right out of
the port, it's broken, so read up on drivers, and *replace* (not add to) your
current flash player with gnash.  I found that if you enter "about:plugins"
directly into the URL entry box on firefox, you got a whole lot of very useful
info about the current state of firefox plugins.  It'll tell you if there are
other flash plugins which need search & destroy.  What you have to do is to make
softlinks, but where, exactly, that's stretching my firefox knowledge.  I
personally, did get lucky.

Maybe I should say that someone on the freebsd lists pointed me at the
"about:plugins", but I actually first thought it was some web page, so I had to
flop about like a fish out of water for a little while.  It's a html page, yes,
but built directly, dynamically, by firefox.