Backup and FreeBSD/ZFS

Richard Mahlerwein mahlerrd at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 21:30:55 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

Some (certainly not all) autoloaders can be upgraded/converted from LTO-3 to LTO-4 for about the same price as a standalone LTO-4.

We use a windows based server for backups at work (nothing but a maintenance nightmare, let me tell you), and at home I have only a single-drive tape backup on my FreeBSD box (never a hiccup!) so I haven't been able to test the following, but would dump be able to understand the EOT and just be able to ask for a new one in the autoloader, which should be able to be set up to automatically move a new tape into the drive until it ran out?

For what it's worth, I found Amanda unnecessarily complicated for my simple needs at home.  I tried Bacula as well and it seemed easier, but not enough to make it worth it.  I just dump the stuff I need to back up externally straight to tape on a weekly cron job.  They still fit on one tape.  :)