burncd issue

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Feb 2 21:43:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:30:13 -0800 (PST), Dánielisz László <laszlo_danielisz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It looks that I should recompile my kernel for using growisofs

No, you should read "man growisofs". :-)

Honestly: You're trying to run growisofs on an acd device:

> # growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=4 -Z /dev/acd0=pats-tts2.iso
> :-( unable to open64("pats-tts2.iso",O_RDONLY): No such file or directory

Not mentioning the open64() error, this won't work. The
growisofs program uses cd instead of acd - this is the
ATAPICAM "SCSI over ATA" mechanism. You can easily load
the atapicam.ko module to make it available.

Then, you should get something like this:

	% camcontrol devlist
	<HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H58N 1.01>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (cd1,pass3)

The SCSI ID 2:0:0 corresponds to the /dev/cd1 device. If
you have sufficient permissions (needed for cd, xpt, pass,
check /etc/devfs.rules for permanent settings), you can
run e. g.

	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=pats-tts2.iso

You don't need to specify -speed, because growisofs sets
the right speed correctly.

As you see, I'm accessing /dev/dvd; this is a symlink to
the correct cd device, in this case

	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd1=pats-tts2.iso

would be the "good" command.

Your output

> # camcontrol devlist -v
> scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
> <>                                 at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

still looks a bit strange - empty identification, negative
ID numbers...

> Do you have any idea how can I avoid the recompilation?

Missing ATAPICAM.

Is it a CD or a DVD you're burning? If it's just a CD, how
about cdrecord (which I prefer to burncd for many years now)?

	% cdrecord dev=2,0,0 speed=16 -v -eject -tao -data pats-tts2.iso

By the way, I have an alias for that because I'm lazy. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany