Using GPT partitions with gmirror

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Mon Feb 1 21:20:43 UTC 2010

Because we have large drives (>2TB) we're switching to gpart to partition our disks. I had previously been using fdisk/bsdlabel and setting up specially configured partition tables that would work with gmirror. This involved faking the size of the c partition to make sure there was space for gmirror to store its metadata. Now that I'm using gpart I'm wondering if any of this trickery is needed? Can I simply create my partitions with gpart then create mirrored partitions using these partitions? I've tried this and it seems to work fine but I'm just being cautious.