/root permission reset on boot

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Feb 1 16:29:45 UTC 2010

Nerius Landys <nlandys at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm running FreeBSD 7.1 i386, and even after I "chmod 700 /root",
> after a reboot it goes back to permission 755.
> 1. What's the reason for this?  There must be a good reason and I
> would like to know it.  Everything in FreeBSD just makes sense and is
> well designed (honestly, no sarcasm here).

It's something local to your machine; this doesn't happen on any machine
I've used, and I can't find anything that could be configured for that.

> 2. Would I  want to change the permission of /root to 700 permanently, and how?

By default, there's nothing sensitive in that directory, so there's no
reason to protect it more thoroughly than the defaults.  If you put
something in that directory, you might want to change the permissions,
but that would be up to you and your own knowledge of your system.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/