Help! Upgrade from fbsd 5.4 to 8.x

Jeff Mitchell skeezix at skeleton.org
Mon Feb 1 14:18:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Ruben de Groot wrote:

# > The GENERIC kernel in 8.0 comes with the COMPAT_FREEBSD5 option by default, so
# > the only thing you need to do is to install the misc/compat5x port.
#
# That is, if the executables weren't dependent on compat[2-4] options in the kernel on the old server ;)

	Hahahahaha ha    ha   h ... erm :/ We'll see :)

# Yes, you could even try coying the entire old disk to a subdirectory and
# running that as a jail. Should bring you up quickly, giving you more time
# to migrate all applications proper.

	I considered this (or just VMing the whole box), but I'd still be
going through to trim out the union of ports (ie: ssh common port etc), so
heck with it.

	I do think I'm going to jail like mad this time through though;
ie: stick apache into a jail, stick groupware server into a jail, stick
mailing list into a jail, etc; for things that are well defined and should
be something considered for peeling to another server some day, just jail
them outright from the onset .. better security and help keep me from
bleeding lines between services. Good tip :)

	Not that I've set up a jail before, but nows as good a time as any
to learn :)

		jeff

--
If everyone would put barbecue sauce on their food, there would be no war.