Help! Upgrade from fbsd 5.4 to 8.x

Erich Dollansky erich at alogreentechnologies.com
Mon Feb 1 00:47:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 01 February 2010 am 08:12:56 Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
>
> 	5.4 seemed to actually have many issues with USB; some devices

including 7.2. USB was the main reason why I left the machine on 6.x. I planned then an direkt update to 8.0 when it appeared at the scene.

But a hard disk crash changed my plans.

> # However it's quite possible the hardware would not boot from USB stick. This
>
> 	An interesting idea to boot from USB here; I've often flirted with
> the idea of using the local-disk for storage, and the OS from flash media,
> and thus being able to swap easily without a hypervisor/etc.
>
> 	Anyway, as this box is a shell, mailserver, low end webserver etc,
> fairly dedicated in function, I think my best route will be to buy another
> disk (I mean, theyu're cheap right?) and do the jump straight to a fresh-8
> install, harden it up, and do the piecemeal migration. Worst case is I go
> back to the existing drive for a few days until I get it all working.

you can also buy a external case for the hard disk. Install FreeBSD on the disk via USB, edit fstab, insert it into the machine and boot from it.

You can do the setup completely on a different machine.

Erich