How can I implement true vps with FreeBSD as a host?

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Fri Dec 31 23:38:51 UTC 2010

On 01/01/11 02:34, Martes G Wigglesworth wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I have been searching for solutions to the problem of jails not being
> truly encapsulated environments.
>
> I have looked at the Xen information for freebsd and it appears to be
> still a bit premature, as compared to NetBSD.
>
> Does anyone have any good resources or advice on how to begin
> implementing true-vps functionality using FreeBSD as a host?
>
> I am still researching what work has been completed on Xen-freebsd
> port, and am actually new to researching Xen in general, so any help
> would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance, for any input.

Have you checked into Xen specifically and how it works? I think you're
where I was at a while ago, and a little investigation will change your
mind. FWIW Xen is a hypervisor, and platforms need to be able to run in
it, not the other way around. Have a read up on it anyway.

What you want I think is something like VirtualBox- comparatively
slower, but about the best for what it is. The only other in the same
league as VBox is linux-kvm (6:7 between them). But if you don't mind
not having FreeBSD as host then Xen is definitely rated better. I'm just
not as sure on stability and such, so I've swung away from it.

HTH