How to build a BROKEN port?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 11:19:46 UTC 2010

On 30/12/2010 10:37, Da Rock wrote:

>> Generally - don't do this.

> I kinda got that impression already, but can someone enlighten me why
> (apart from the obvious, of course- it could break the makefile if you
> forget)? And is that in general or just this line?

This advice is correct for someone who just wants to /use/ the ports --
not so good if your intention is to /develop/ the ports.  And I think
fixing the reason a port is marked BROKEN certainly puts you in the
development camp.

A very good tip: if you are editing the port, then it pays to check it
out from one of the anon-CVS servers while you work on it.  You get all
the usual VCS capabilities and it's easier to revert any changes etc.
You don't need to check out the whole ports tree -- just your port of
interest will be fine, and you don't need to keep it in the normal ports
tree.

See Ion Mihai's article here for lots of good practices:

    http://ionut.tetcu.info/FreeBSD/How-to-submit-a-diff.txt

and all about FreeBSD Anon-CVS here:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/anoncvs.html

	Cheers,