Problem with dbus update

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 29 21:02:24 UTC 2010

On Mon 27 Dec 2010 at 15:10:35 PST Charlie Kester wrote:
>On Mon 27 Dec 2010 at 12:13:32 PST Alexander Konotop wrote:
>>Same problem. It's seems like it's not hanging, but awaiting of
>>something.
>
>We've been discussing this on the forums.
>
>The problem seems to be that textproc/man2html is broken.  Warren Block
>pointed out that if you deinstall man2html, the dbus upgrade will
>succeed.  (It just won't build html'ized versions of the manpages.)
>
>If you do need the html'ized manpages, I suggest you build them after
>the upgrade, perhaps using www/man2web instead.

I need to correct something I said here.

textproc/man2html is NOT broken.  It simply wasn't intended to be used
in the way the dbus Makefiles are trying to use it.

man2html only takes its input from stdin.  If you specify a filename on
its commandline, as the dbus Makefile does, man2html will ignore it and
simply wait for input on stdin.  Since that input never comes, the dbus
build appears to hang.

I've submitted a PR to patch the dbus port so it uses man2html
correctly.