Does anybody know a PeerGuardian like app?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 29 19:43:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 08:04:16 -0800 (PST), S Mathias <smathias1972 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Are there any programs blocking ip, and has frequently updated
> lists, like the peerguardian on windows?

Yes, FreeBSD's base system brings the IPFW firewall that can be
used to block IPs, ranges of IPs or lists. Also PF can be used
for that purpose. Still I'm not sure in how far there are GUI
applications that help you controlling those system-level tools.
For most uses, automated solutions without any UI at all are
widely preferred. See "man ipfw" for details.

There are also other tools to help with blocking SSH brute force
attacks or unwanted FTP connection attempts from unauthorized
IPs. There are good automating mechanisms in those tools. Those
tools are available from FreeBSD's ports collection.

Is this what you had in mind?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany