Tomcat 6 log level

Robert Gründler robert at dubture.com
Wed Dec 29 12:42:08 UTC 2010

Hi,

we've installed tomcat 6 via freebsd ports and would like to change the log level on our
production server from INFO to SEVERE.

However, the tomcat6 startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d did not load the logging.properties
file of tomcat, so we've added a flag to the java_opts in /etc/rc.conf

tomcat60_java_opts="-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0/conf/logging.properties"

When setting this option, it loads the config file, but throws some exceptions:

Can't load log handler "4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: 4host-manager.org.apache.juli.FileHandler

Is there a recommended way to alter tomcat log level when installed through ports on freebsd?

thanks!

-robert