MySQL 5.5.7->5.5.8 instructions seem scary

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:57:23 UTC 2010

I read this in /usr/ports/UPDATING today:

20101227:
  AFFECTS: users of databases/mysql55-server
  AUTHOR: ale at FreeBSD.org

  MySQL 5.5 has been updated to 5.5.8 GA release. Since layout is
  changed you should remove mysql55-{client/server/scripts} ports
  before upgrading. The build system is changed too, so expect
  failures.

Now that seems pretty scary.  Remove all mysql packages from my system?!?!
Expect failures?!?!?

I have important data in my current mysql install.

porky/zsh# pkg_info -Qao | grep -i mysql
mysql-client-5.5.7:databases/mysql55-client
mysql-server-5.5.7:databases/mysql55-server
php5-mysql-5.3.4:databases/php5-mysql

Should I wait until things settle down before upgrading?
I need better instruction on how to upgrade.