ImageMagick, Djvu, and Perl-threaded - marked as IGNORE when updating

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Mon Dec 27 22:21:30 UTC 2010

> >> Who made this claim?  This is not some standard, user-configurable
> >> knob -- it is only used by 5 ports, and each of them assigns a value
> >> to it in the port Makefile.  It shouldn't be set in make.conf.  As for
> >> why it isn't working in Da Rock's case, he hasn't answered any of the
> >> questions I asked him earlier.
> >
> > I suggest you see an earlier thread on same topic [ImageMagick Upgrade
> > Problem].
>
> That thread (I'm assuming you're referring to the one in Nov. on
> FreeBSD-ports) is no longer relevant after Doug's commit (which was
> announced in that thread):

That was why I wondered whether all the OP's ports are up to date.

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/graphics/ImageMagick/Makefile.d
> iff?r1=1.313;r2=1.314
>
> The suggestion that users set that variable was a temporary hack that
> should never have been needed, were it not for the earlier problems
> with the port, which have since been resolved (in part, anyway).
> PERL_THREADED should only be defined when it is used, and should
> record whether the perl port being used is threaded, and not some
> user-selected value.

Agreed - but  following Doug's  commit I can vouch that the PERL_THREADED hack
was still needed  for 7.2 p3 systems on amd64.

> The questions I originally asked were in:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-December/225501.h
> tml

The current thread did not make that clear.

> (This thread is a little hard to follow because it's spread between
> two lists, -questions and -ports, with some replies not being sent to
> -ports.)
>
> > I also wonder if the OP's ports tree is up to date.
>
> That's a good question.  He mentioned that he was updating a lot of
> ports, so I'm assuming that it is, but it's something that he should
> check.

His comments made me wonder :-;

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network