Portupgrade status

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Mon Dec 27 19:03:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010, Matthew Seaman wrote:

>> Rob> Then, the removal of MD5 distinfo broke it and it stayed broken for
>> Rob> over a week with no indication given that a fix was in the works. On
>> Rob> the other hand, Doug Barton has been very responsive to issues with
>> Rob> portmaster and fixed this problem less than 48 hours after it
>> Rob> appeared. Hence my recommendation to switch.
>>
>> I switched to portmaster a few months ago after being firmly in the
>> portupgrade camp, and have not regretted it in the slightest.
>>

> Same here.  The biggest conceptual gotcha in switching is that
> portmaster always reinstalls the ports you tell it to work on, unlike
> portupgrade which just upgrades what's out of date unless you tell it
> otherwise.
>
> I also have my machines set up with a portmaster.rc like this:
>
> #
> # portmaster global config overrides
> #
> NO_BACKUP=Bopt
> PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pw_dbo
> ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
>
> MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
> PM_PACKAGES=first
> LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR=/usr/ports/packages
> PM_PACKAGES_LOCAL=pmp_local
> PM_IGNORE_FAILED_BACKUP_PACKAGE=pm_ignore_failed_backup_package
>
> #
> # That's All Folks!
> #
>
> Which has two good effects: it stops portmaster asking so many
> questions; and it keeps a local archive of packages of everything it
> builds and will re-install from that local package repo where an
> appropriate package is available.  Oh, and it removes build dependencies
> rather than leaving them cluttering up the disk (but it does keep
> packages of them, so it's quick to reinstall where needed).
>
> This saves a lot of compiling if you share your local package repo
> amongst several machines, or (like I do) you have a lot of churn in
> installed package sets.
>
> I tried doing this sort of thing with portupgrade, but I never could get
> it to work quite right and I always had to remember to put extra flags
> on the command line -- with portmaster it "just works" (tm).

Also a happy portmaster user. Thanks for the portmaster.rc ideas. For me
portupgrade never really worked because I only use port management tools on
workstations and I go so long between upgrades I never had any sucess using
portupgrade. I also like the fact that portmaster uses only the files that are
there anyway.

Doug Denault