Portupgrade status [Was Re: Portmaster general questions and problems]

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Mon Dec 27 00:48:32 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 13:42, Bob Hall <rjhjr0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 11:39:58AM -0800, Ron (Lists) wrote:
>> But, due to portupgrade no longer being maintained and failing to work
>> anymore,
>
> I'm a bit confused about this. I did a quick google search and saw that
> someone had stopped maintaining portupgrade, but I also saw things that
> suggested that other people were maintaining it. The handbook continues
> to list it ahead of portmanager and portmaster, with no mention that it
> isn't being maintained. I've never stopped using portupgrade, and it has
> always worked. Updates come through periodically, two in the past month.
> For a port that isn't being maintained, it seems to be remarkably well
> maintained.

I assume you are referring to my message from a couple months ago.

At the time, the previous maintainer dropped it and transferred it to
a mailing list. There had been no commits for around a year and a
half. I am personally skeptical of anything maintained by a mailing
list, because that seems to frequently lead to patches and bug reports
being ignored for months or years.

Then, the removal of MD5 distinfo broke it and it stayed broken for
over a week with no indication given that a fix was in the works. On
the other hand, Doug Barton has been very responsive to issues with
portmaster and fixed this problem less than 48 hours after it
appeared. Hence my recommendation to switch.

--
Rob Farmer