SD/CF card reader

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 00:45:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> Oh, I failed to mention that I did install 8.2-RC1 on this
> "new" machine. Time for updating.

Well that should have the fix I was thinking of so you'll probably need to
take it to one of the other lists I mentioned.

I'll check that. Still... looks very strange. That shouldn't
> be neccessary on modern FreeBSD as it hadn't been any problem
> on "old-fashioned" FreeBSD.

Perhaps you mean pre-GEOM?

> Besides that, I'm not using GEOM for anything important, as
> I keep things "old-fashioned", even mounting media is not
> automated (as I do consider this a security risk). As I'm
> mainly working with "outdated" stuff, I don't rely on the
> latest modern technology for partitioning. :-)

GEOM is more pervasive than I think you know.  Basically every block-like
device is a GEOM member these days automounting or not.

I have only recently used an SD reader under FreeBSD but in my exploration
of the symptoms, I saw very old and very recent indications that this is the
way to handle.  And by very old, I mean since GEOM's introduction.

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg104787.html

You can easily find older ones, but this post explains a bit of the
technical difficulty behind the bug.

--
Adam Vande More