groups and login shells

Chris Telting christopher-ml at telting.org
Sun Dec 26 17:50:39 UTC 2010

Just spent some time figuring this out.

I needed to create a group and add myself to it.

But after I added myself to the group while I could "id username" my
username and
get the correct groups if I did a base "id" or "groups" the new group
wouldn't
show up.  Not could I access a directory restricted to the group.  Turns
out I needed
to invoke a new login shell from an existing command prompt or
essentially shut
everything down and relogin a the console.  So I just reboot.

But owning to many years of resentment dealing with Microsoft platform I
highly
resent reboots.  Does anyone know if it's possible to update groups in
memory?

Thanks,
Chris