fetching mail (but not fetchmail)

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Fri Dec 24 18:54:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27:32PM -0500, Chris Brennan wrote:
> Bit of an odd question. But I will try. Is it possible to set up some
> mechanism (in freebsd or maybe gentoo (doesn't matter to me)) to pop/imap
> into my mail location and download everything as storage and then I imap to
> my local machine to read my mail. I realize I can pop/imap directly into my
> mail, the goal of this exorcise is to store my mail on one of my local
> servers and not my windows machine which can change at a moment's notice. (I
> just don't like the idea of permanent/long-term storage in Windows :/ )

I've got a fetchmail + procmail combination, where fetchmail retrieves
it from a remote POP3 server and procmail is the local MDA which
converts it to Maildir format (which can be read by my local
IMAP server).

My ~/.fetchmailrc looks like this:
    poll pop3.vodafone.co.nz protocol pop3
        username "myusername"