DES Cipher

Mohammad Hedayati hedayati.mo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 16:21:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:

>> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Wed Dec 22 08:22:15 2010
>> From: Mohammad Hedayati <hedayati.mo at gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:50:19 +0330
>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>> Subject: DES Cipher
>>
>> Can anyone please show me a sample code for ciphering using DES in FreeBSD?
>
> I hate to say it, but RTFM applies.
> 'apropos encryption' gives, among other things (and first), a cite to bdes(1).
>
> 'bdes' is a program that comes with the FreeBSD distribution.
> You have access to the source code of all of the distribution.
>
> 'Use the Souce, Luke" applies, and will bring the mountain to Mohammad. :)

Thanks Robert, I haven't seen a cite to bdes in the FM of des(3), but
the problem is solved using the source of bdes(1) [thanks to Antone].
The code would be as easy as:

#include <openssl/des.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	DES_key_schedule schedule;
	DES_cblock key;
	strncpy(key, "somekey", 8);

	DES_set_key(&key, &schedule);

	DES_cblock buf;
	strncpy(buf, "sometxt", 8);

	// Encrypting
	DES_ecb_encrypt(&buf, &buf, &schedule, 0);

	// Decrypting
	DES_ecb_encrypt(&buf, &buf, &schedule, 1);
	printf("Text Is: %s\n", buf);

	return(0);
}