Install problem with 8.0 Release

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 21:05:38 UTC 2010

Hi list,

I am trying to help a friend who is overseas install FreeBSD 8.0 i386.
Left to his own devices the install failed, so I ran through it with him
last night, all is fine till it gets to the root password screen where
the install just hangs.  He is not very techy, all I could glean was the
system has an sis chipset and it previously ran windows 7 with no
problems, I am hoping to get a more detailed spec of the machine, but I
thought might make an initial enquiry to the list to see if anyone has
come across this behaviour before, or are there any obvious possible
causes ?

Regards

Graeme