A jail with a dash in its name

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Dec 21 12:58:20 UTC 2010

On 12/21/10 22:48, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Robert Bonomi<bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com>  wrote:
>
>> That statement appears to be a shell variable assignment, yet the
>> error message indicates that the system is trying to find an executable
>> by the name of the entire expression.
>>
>> You need to show us the actual line in /etc/rc.conf _and_ the surrounding
>> context.
>>

> part of rc.conf:
>
> jail_forest-friend_rootdir=/usr/jails/forest-friend
> jail_forest-friend_hostname=forest-friend
> jail_forest-friend_ip=192.168.0.15
>
> cheer# /etc/rc.d/jail
> /etc/rc.conf: jail_forest-friend_rootdir=/usr/jails/forest-friend: not found
> jail_forest-friend_hostname=forest-friend: not found
> jail_forest-friend_ip=192.168.0.15: not found
> Usage: /etc/rc.d/jail [fast|force|one](start|stop|restart|rcvar)

I believe what was referred to earlier was the lack of quotes- as in "".
The rc variables in the conf are strings, so your rc.conf should have this:

jail_forest-friend_rootdir="/usr/jails/forest-friend"
jail_forest-friend_ip="192.168.0.15"

However, whether or not a hyphen is allowed in the jail name is another
matter. Yes a hyphen is allowed in a hostname, but in the rc.conf the
hostname is set in a string (as mentioned before). Also, the jail name
and hostname don't need to be the same thing.