printer recommendations?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 21 01:05:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:25:03 -0800, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Charlie Kester <corky1951 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > As a last gasp effort, I gave my LJ4+ a thorough cleaning and replaced
> > the rollers for the output feed in the back.  And hey, it seems to be
> > working now!  The way it had been sounding, I was sure I'd broken
> > something the last time I replaced the toner cartridge after clearing a
> > paper jam.  But maybe I just didn't have the cartridge properly
> > seated...
> >
> > So now I'm looking into ways to adapt it to use a network connection.
>
> If you shop around you should be able to find an old JetDirect MIO
> card that will slot into the back of it.  That's the best solution.

Agreed. There's an alternative solution that should be
mentioned: In the past, there have been adaptors from
parallel (Centronics) to RJ45 UTP network that could be
put directly onto the back of the printer. Other more
elegant solutions were small print servers, connected
and configured via network, allowing one or two parallel
printers to be attached. I'm not sure if such devices
are still sold, but you should be able to get a used
one for less than nothing. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany