freebsd bootloader / boot0cfg and multiple disks?

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Mon Dec 20 06:26:58 UTC 2010

I'm trying to get the FreeBSD boot loader to to boot off multiple
disks, but I can't seem to get it to see my 3rd disk.

FreeBSD 8.2-PRE amd64; stock kernel with sound card, ahci and PF added

disk layout:
ada0: freebsd main install (/, /tmp, /var, /usr, /home, swap)
ada1: freebsd data disk
ada2: win7 with ada2s1 being the "boot" 100MB, ada2s2 and ada2s3
being partitions

How can I get boot0cfg to try and boot the 3rd disk, ada2s1? I added the 3rd
disk after already having the first 2 setup and installed. Normally,
I install Windows first and boot0cfg picks it up fine, but not this
time :)

The man page shows how to install a boot MBR on a disk and to
reference the slices, but I can't seem to see how to reference a 2nd
or 3rd disk. The default install picks up the 2nd disk (FreeBSD
data), but obviously can't boot from that. So, it does seem to be
able to redirect to other disks.

I tried doing a boot0cfg -Bv -s 1 ada2, but that seems to just
install a MBR on ada2 and it never gets picked up on ada0 boot menu.

grub isn't supported on amd64 and grub2 seems to be all "wizards"
and secondary "config" files :(

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson