Strange error

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Dec 19 20:16:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:57:39 +0100, "Jack Raats" <jack at jarasoft.net> wrote:
> I have a strange error.
>
> Normally when you compile the complete system, the first line
> of /etc/motd is being adjusted telling you the time and version
> you just compiled.
> On one server this is not being done.
> What is the problem. Which programm adjust the motd file when compiling?

As far as I remember, this update is not part of the
compiling process, but will be performed later on as
a startup procedure.

I just checked; have a look at /etc/rc.d/motd and the
corresponding update_motd= setting for /etc/rc.conf.
The rc script basically is a search & replace mechanism
that obtains the current version from a uname call.

In your case, check if the one server in question does
have update_motd="NO" set.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany