where are the handbooks?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 19 13:20:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 21:11:21 -0800
perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> Thanks.  It would never have occurred to me to look for documentation
> of the _base_ system in a _port_.  The porter's handbook, maybe, but
> the others?  Seems to me like a POLA violation.

The documentation isn't really a part of the base system, it isn't
branched, it's continuously updated, it's similar to the ports tree.

Older install disks had a snapshot. Having a port/package that installs
the snapshot makes it a lot easier to keep up to date. You used to
have to use csup to fetch the "source" files and then build the html,
pdf, etc which used a lot of CPU. I gave up on it and synced the html
version from the website - a port is better.