FreeBSD IPSec stack contains backdoors?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Dec 17 16:11:30 UTC 2010

> Reads like an unacceptable response to an issue that seems quite critical.

Go to hell.

This whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion, and I'm
sick of the FUD and all the other associated bullshit.

As has already been revealed by people WHO WERE THERE who are willing
to give actual details:  The NSA and the FBI were using OpenBSD code
to experiment with whether backdoors could be created.  The did not
submit their resultant code, and had no intention of doing so.  It was
an experiment, which is part of what open source is all about.

You, Greg attention-whore Perry, and the mass-media all need to go back
to snapping paparazzi photos of celebrities.

Here, I formally double DES' bounty.  If anyone can find any FBI
inserted backdoors in such a way as to meet DES' criteria, I'll pay
out the same as whatever he pays out.

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org>wrote:
>
> > The FreeBSD security officer team has already written an official
> > response about this.  Please have a look at:
> >

> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-security/2010-December/005746.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Giorgos
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:28:37 +0600, Victor Lyapunov <
> > fullblaststorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > > Recently OpenBSD developer Gregory Perry disclosed information about
> > > possible backdoors in OpenBSD IPSec stack (see
> > > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.tech/22557) In particular,
> > > Gregory Perry, who has been working on a OpenBSD -ish implementation
> > > of IPSec says a number of backdoors have been introduced into the
> > > code.
> > >
> > > As far as I am aware, FreeBSD contains considerable amount of code
> > > ported from OpenBSD. The question is: was the FreeBSD's ipsec code
> > > ported from OpenBSD's implementation? If so, what might be the impact
> > > of this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Victor Lyapunov.

Bill Moran