Not affecting exactly FreeBSD but OpenBSD

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at intranet.com.mx
Fri Dec 17 03:58:46 UTC 2010

Hello all.

I found this interesting and wanted to share it here.....
I guess it has to do with a recently thread here....

Jorge Biquez
--------------------------
By Doug Barney
Editor in Chief, Redmond magazine
dbarney at redmondmag.com

FBI: THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INSTALLATION
If WikiLeaks taught us anything, it's that our government (heck, pretty
much all governments) does a lot of things behind our backs. Some of
this is necessary and justified, and some seems just stupid and
sometimes evil.

Now an ex-consultant for the FBI says a decade ago the bureau modified
OpenBSD (you can do that since it is open source). It didn't improve
security or performance. Nah, the feds installed a backdoor so it could
spy on U.S. attorneys who used the OS.
http://www.1105newsletters.com/t.do?id=6650088:222349

The charges, made by Greg Perry, were denounced by an OpenBSD developer
as poppycock.

This is a bit different from WikiLeaks as Perry claims his charges were
meant to be private and to serve as notice to get the OpenBSD code
fully audited.

It will, I think, take an audit to get the bottom of this fiasco.

Do you trust our key pieces of software or suspect manipulation? Send
your opinions to dbarney at redmondmag.com. We only publish first names so
you needn't fear retribution.

To comment, go here:
http://www.1105newsletters.com/t.do?id=6650089:222349