Kind of off topic.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Dec 14 03:28:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> A friend is asking me to help him to solve some problem he has in his
> servers. To some I would be able to connect using ssh, with other just it i
> snot possible. I remember that on the windows world there was a commercial
> software PCANywhere. He can have it but I am not sure if I would be able to
> connect to that from my Freebsd machine (of course not by ssh).
> What are you using for connecting to graphical interfaces of different OS's
> from FreeBSD?
> I tested some years ago a VNC software but did not work fine with MAC OSX
> (recently released by then).
> I know big security factors are involved for sure.
> Any suggestion on what to use, not to expensive or free?

net/ssvnc works with both UltraVNC Windows clients and net/x11vnc for
FreeBSD.  It can communicate over an encrypted SSL tunnel.  The client
can initiate an outgoing connection, so outside holes don't need to
poked through the firewall.

Haven't needed to try it on a Mac, but Karl Runge's web page
(http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html) lists MacOSX support.

This has worked well for me on high-bandwidth connections.  Dialup has
been unusable, and I suspect it would have to forgo encryption to be
usable, if then.