mountroot prompt in the middle of updating - can't get past it

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Fri Dec 10 16:11:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:38:29 -0800 Kurt Buff wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 22:50, Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:49:41 -0800 Kurt Buff wrote:
> >
> >> All,
> >
> >> I have a Lenovo T61 with a 100g HD that I dual boot with FreeBSD
> >> 8.0-STABLE amd64 and Windows XP.

How and to which version did you upgrade?

> >> FBSD is on ad0s2a, with ad0s2b as swap, and XP on ad0s1a.
> >
> >> Yesterday I booted up FBSD, started xfce4, started a terminal session,
> >> su'ed to root and did the following - running a generic kernel:
> >
> >> # cd /usr/src
> >> # make buildworld
> >> # make buildkernel
> >> # make installkernel
> >
> >> Then I exited xfce4, did sudo shutdown -r now, and got a mountroot
> >> prompt that I now can't get past.
> >
> >> I can get to the loader prompt, and lsdev shows the following:
> >
> >>    cd devices:
> >>    disk devices:
> >>          disk0:     BIOS drive C:
> >>             disk0s1: NTFS/HPFS
> >>                 disk0s2a:  FFS
> >>                 disk02sb:  swap

Is it a typo? (seems should be "disk0s2b: swap"

> >> when I use '?' at the mountroot prompt I get:
> >
> >>    List of GEOM managed disk devices:
> >>       acd0

Hm, ad0s2a should be listed here. Seems that the new kernel doesn't
detect a disk adapter.

Your kernel config and may be helpful. BTW, dmesg for both successful
and unsuccessful boot may give us some tips too.

> >>    Loader variables:
> >>    vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
> >>    vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
> >
> >> I've tried entering the following at the mountroot prompt, with no success:
> >>    ufs:/dev/ad0s2a

That is the right one.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)