ZFS over nfs

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:09:34 UTC 2010

On 10 December 2010 13:57, Sven-Åke Svensson <sa at mbg.se> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I have a file server with an zfs system. I have set up nfs shares using
> "zfs nfsshare...." as it says in the documentation. Then the system use the
> file /etc/zfs/exports.
>
> But I find out that I also can share this directories using the standard
> /etc/exports. This way I have all administration of shares in the same
> place. But are there any disadvantages doing it this way? Anybody know?
>
> System is Freebsd 8.1.
>

> Best regards
>
> Sven-Åke Svensson

if you put it in exports zfs cant manage it, therefore the zfs filesystem
set command becomes redundent and inoperative, so it doesnt fit in with zfs
standard way of doing things. Not really an issue but possibly a little
confusing.

I know its not necessary the case for bsd yet, but on solaris if you have
made the jump to zfs, you have most likely gone for a pure zfs installation,
therefore it all hangs together nicely.