Want sendmail applying aliases to 'cc:' field too

c0re nr1c0re at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 14:12:19 UTC 2010

2010/12/10 tomasz dereszynski <tomaszd at paraklet.net>:

> Generally reading documentation helps.
> then google...
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK294&=&q=sendmail+aliases&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=
>
> first URL...
> http://www.feep.net/sendmail/tutorial/intro/aliases.html

>> Hey all!
>>
>> I've got /etc/mail/aliases file like
>>
>> user: user at site1.domain.com
>> user2: user2 at site1.domain.com
>> user3: user3 at site2.domain.com
>>
>> When someone from Internet send email to user at domain.com with cc: to
>> user3 at domain.com sendmail send mail to user and user3 normaly, they
>> recieve their mail.
>>
>> But I need some additional behavior:
>> user receive that mail with
>>
>> to: user at site1.domain.com
>> cc: user3 at domain.com
>>
>> I want that cc would be user3 at site2.domain.com, like in aliases file.
>>
>> Because I got problems replying to all (with user3 at domain.com
>> included, but it must be user3 at site2.domain.com). How this can be
>> achieved?
>>
>> In other words I need some kind of cc: field rewriting regarding to
>> aliases file contents.
>>
>> I have not found such feature in sendmail. So I think this can be done
>> with some milter may be... Anyone has ideas?
>>
>> Any tips, thinks, tricks and etc highly needed! I'm out of ideas at that
>> moment.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> --
> bEsT rEgArDs            |       "Confidence is what you have before you
> tomasz dereszynski      |       understand the problem." -- Woody Allen
> Spes confisa Deo        |       "In theory, theory and practice are much
> numquam confusa recedit |       the same. In practice they are very
>                        |       different." -- Albert Einstein

I do use aliases file and I know what is it.
But it looks like not this case.
I want Cc: be rewritten like in aliases file defined in Cc: header,
not only those one that comes in "RCPT TO:".
And sendmail does not do it with Cc: field.
Yes, recipient that in Cc: field do receive this mail, all ok in this
way, but I want in MY mail Cc: field been rewritten as it is in
aliases.

I want to see in my mail this email headers
to: user at domain.com
cc: user3 at site2.domain.com

Not this one:
to: user at site1.domain.com
cc: user3 at domain.com

Looked at postfix - same thing, no such feature saw there in documentation.