FreeBSD on Virtualbox: No network access

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Thu Dec 9 20:41:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Weihang Wang <weihang at vt.edu> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I do not configure a DHCP server. When my FreeBSD 6.0 is booting, there are
> several DHCPDISCOVERY messages, finally it shows no DHCPOFFER received. Do I
> need to configure a DHCP server myself? If I need a DHCP server? Where it
> should be? Now I only have one test machine, Ubuntu as the host OS, two VMs
> (both are FreeBSD 6.0) on this machine. I want this two VMs communicate with
> each other.
>
> Just go back to the DHCP stuff, when I use NAT mode, the guest OS FreeBSD
> 6.0 could get DHCPOFFER successfully. Who is the DHCP server then?
>
> When running dhclien em0, the results are similar to the DHCPDISCOVER
> results during booting. No DHCPOFFERS received.

It would appear that Ubuntu has not correctly installed the bridging
adapter. Did you check out the links I provided on setting up a bridging
device on Ubuntu w/ vBox? They worked for me, I set up an Ubuntu VM and in
the VM setup a test VM of vBox to boot fbsd (8.1 in my case).

NOTE: I do not recoomend setting up a VM within a VM, I did it strictly as a
test to boot and get network access. Which it did.